What is Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Novel Coronavirus is a new kind of respiratory virus that was identified for the first time in Wuhan city of China, on December 31st, 2019. Public health officials are continually working to identify the source of the virus.
The new force of Coronavirus was initially linked to the Huanan Wholesale Seafood Market, a huge animal and seafood market in Wuhan, which was also selling snakes and bats. Doctors and health specialists believe that people contracted the virus by either touching an infected animal or eating its meat. Though, new research implies that the outbreak in China apparently originated in some other place before entering the Huanan Wholesale Seafood Market.
Symptoms of Coronavirus in Humans
The symptoms of Coronavirus in human beings are quite similar to those observed during pneumonia and flu:
- Difficulty in breathing, fever, and dry cough
- Diarrhea and Gastrointestinal problems
- Fluid begins filling up the lungs
- In critical cases, total kidney failure, causing death
Who is Prone to this Virus?
- People with low immune system especially elderly and children are most likely to contract Coronavirus
- People getting in contact with patients suffering from Coronavirus
- People traveling to different countries who are most affected by this disease
- Those people who are not taking any precautionary measures to avoid this virus
- Those who eat undercooked seafood and meat
How to avoid the spread of Coronavirus Infection
Doctors and health specialists have come up with a set of directives to avoid the spread of the Coronavirus.
- Do not come in contact with those people who have caught the virus as health professionals and doctors have found out that droplets spread the virus.
- The virus is spread through airborne droplets, coughing, and sneezing.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or face with your hands if you are suffering from flu-like symptoms as it can spread the disease.
Prevention Tips of Coronavirus
- Do not visit animal markets unnecessary, without taking any precautionary measures
- Do not eat undercooked meat. If you are handling animal organs, raw meat, or milk, it must be handled with care to prevent contamination with uncooked foods.
- Be sure to load up your diet with a lot of Vitamin C
- Take care of your health and increase your stamina and strengthen your immune system
- Wash your hands frequently. Use a sanitizer often when you aren’t at home.
Corona Isolation Techniques
Quarantine and isolation are two major tools to control the spread of Coronavirus. According to the coronavirus isolation guideline, an isolation period of fourteen days is recommended for individuals having flu-like symptoms of Coronavirus. However, this measure helps avoid transmitting the contagious disease to others. It is because the incubation period of the virus is fourteen days. Proper screening measures are also being used at airports across the globe as the World Health Organization (WHO) has declared it a global health emergency.
Tips to Prevent Coronavirus at Home
Bear in mind that prevention is better than cure – this adage holds true with regards to the current situation of Coronavirus in Pakistan. The official tally of coronavirus cases in the country has increased to 230, as of March 18, 2020. At a difficult time when the most developed countries are engaging with the outbreak, it is best to take proper precautionary measures to protect yourself and your loved ones.
- Disinfect most-frequently touched surfaces like kitchen, washrooms, etc.
- Handle laundry of a sick person with proper care
- Wash clothes in warm water to kill the germs
- Wear protective gloves and mask when cleaning
- Properly clean your mobile phones
Coronavirus Test in Pakistan
Primarily three hospitals in Pakistan are currently conducting tests for Coronavirus: National Institute of Health in Islamabad, Aga Khan University Hospital in Karachi, and Shaukat Khanum Hospital in Lahore.
The following are given ways of how the process of coronavirus test in Pakistan works:
- A sample is taken through the nasopharyngeal, i.e., the throat and nose swab test
- The sample is then immersed in a liquid medium
- Your sample is moved to any of the above mentioned three hospitals
- After reaching the lab, it is made sure that the results are not cross-contaminated with other samples
- The virus is taken out and transported to a machine, where it is tested for results
- The test is then faxed to the respective hospital
- Results are given within eight hours
Extra Precautionary measures to be safe from Coronavirus in Pakistan
The following are some added preventive measures.
- Wash your hands completely for thirty seconds. Wash the back of your hands, under the nails and the palm area.
- Wear a protective mask, but if a person in front of you is sneezing and coughing, the outer surface of your mask may carry the infection. If you have a surgical mask, be sure to discard it after using it for a day.
- If you see someone coughing and sneezing, maintain a distance of two meters to avoid any droplets.
- If an infected person coughs and sneezes, then touches any object, he can transfer the virus onto the object such as doorknobs, pen, mouse, laptop, etc.
- Remember, viruses can last for forty-eight hours on objects, and the only efficient way of getting rid of the virus is to wash them with hot water and soap.
- Keep a separate cup, glass, food utensils, towel, and other items for each member of the family – particularly if you spot signs of influenza.
- Build your immune system. Take lots of fresh juices, drink more water, and take care of your health.